This thematic tour links the art of Provence’s true lavender and environmental issues. Learn more about the scarcity of water in the dry mountains of Provence, the interaction between bees and lavender, and more.
- Adults Over 18 years old
- Students Must have valid student card
- Teenagers 11 - 16 years old
- Children 0-10 years old
- OAP Seniors
- Disabled Cards Must have valid card
Explore the Art of Fine Lavender with an Olfactory Sampling
This themed tour connects the art of fine lavender and an olfactory sampling of the official Château du Bois fine lavender essential oil vintages since 1998 with the discovery of the Lamiaceae aromatic family. Get your noses ready!
- When you get your informational leaflet at the reception, discover the botanical difference between wild lavenders and endemic ones from Provence, and the hybrid ones, the lavandines, through the explanations of our specialized guides.
- Which lavender is used in perfumery? According to the season, this first botanical part can happen in the gardens of the museum. It can also be presented around the still during the distillation period, from July 1st to August 25th.
- In the projection room, enjoy a beautiful documentary that was shot on our lavender-growing estate, Le Château du Bois, following the lavender summer harvest, from cutting to distilling in order to obtain the most precious of essential oils.
- In the exhibition room that showcases the most exquisite collector’s items, the guide tells you about the history of fine lavender from the 16th century to now. Thanks to the museography, you can discover the ancient ways of cutting and distilling and the evolution of the needs and uses of the fine lavender of Provence.
- Discover the best vintages of Haute Provence PDO Lavender essential oils. Near the table where the essential oil vials are laid out, the guide provides samples of every vintage, explaining what makes each year’s oil special. Explanations on the art of natural perfumes by reading an olfactory pyramid unveil the magic behind the most sublime fragrances.
- At the end of the tour, you can smell and try the Haute Provence PDO Lavender essential oil, the niche perfumes, and organic cosmetics. The explanations of our advisors on fabrication and usage unveil the virtues of fine lavender and of Provençal and medicinal plants. Next, enjoy a tasting of lavender herbal tea in the shop. Children correct their quizzes with the Lavender Team, who give them their young lavender growers diplomas.